Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Why I Love Horror and Why It’s Important to Me

                                                               By Marcus Davis
  

Ever since I was a child I’ve had a fascination with the horror genre. I was introduced to my first horror film by a baby sitter when I was about 5 or 6 years old. Every time I was dropped off at her house she would pull out a selection horror movies on VHS. The first one she made me watch was Tremors. While watching the film I couldn’t help but think of what I would do if these large worms that terrorized a small town were real. I kept thinking about what I would do differently. This fascination led me to become obsessed with the Sci-Fi channel, turning it on and tuning in every chance I had. It was on the Sci-Fi channel that I discovered movies like A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and John Carpenter’s The Thing. There was something about these films that stuck with me. That something was the feeling of fear.

   As I grew older I started to recognize the importance of fear. Fear is a human emotion that triggers the release of adrenaline and endorphins in the body. This feeling is important to me because it reminds me that we are human and there are things that are out of our control.  I enjoyed the way I felt while watching horror films. I was addicted to that feeling. The way the score of John Carpenter’s Halloween added to the terror that is Michael Myers. The way corpses were reanimated and brought back to life in Fulci’s Zombi2. Even how the gritty lifestyle the Sawyer family embodied in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre made me want to shower immediately. All of these elements are important because they remind us that not all movies have to have a happy ending.

   The great thing about horror films is they allow us to use our imagination more than any other genre. It’s our imagination that allows us to think outside the box and think beyond the laws of reality. It’s in our imagination that our city can be overrun by zombies or we can save the damsel in distress from the clutches of a demonic killer. It’s these ideas that separate horror from drama, comedy, and romance films where the simple love story can be altered and reused over and over again.
   Aside from watching horror films another way I get my horror fix is by attending haunted houses. Haunted houses give you a unique opportunity to live out some of your favorite horror fantasies in real life. Whether it’s walking through scenes from the films or a completely original idea you’re always guaranteed a good scare with the use of the same elements of the films. Haunted houses have harnessed the senses of sight, sound, and sometimes smell to completely engulf you in an atmosphere of pure horror. Most haunts don’t open until the fall season so I always plan accordingly to be able to attend as many as possible.
   Not too long after I met my significant other, we discovered the phenomenons that are horror conventions. I couldn’t believe these conventions were taking place and I had no idea about them. I couldn’t help but notice how close to home I felt at these events. After attending my first horror convention I knew what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I wanted to promote any and all things related to the horror community with the hope that there are others out there like me that love horror but didn’t have a proper outlet to get the enjoyment I was looking for.
   Now that I’m older I still watch horror films and in fact collect them. I collect autographs and memorabilia of the films that stuck with me ever since I was a child. While sometimes criticized by others around me about my interests, I still continue to pursue my dreams in the genre that has given me so much in return. If I could give one piece of advice to anyone reading this that feels like they are alone because of their interests in horror, speak up and do something to preserve what you love. Whether it’s holding an event or showing someone a horror film for the first time, get out there and do it and help keep horror alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment