Friday, January 20, 2012

Skull and Bones Entertainment interviews Horror Artist Jerrod Brown

Skull and Bones Entertainment recently had the pleasure of interviewing Horror Artist Jerrod Brown. If you aren't familiar with Jerrod's work, we highly suggesting checking out the links at the end of the interview to see his creative genius for yourself!




S&B: When did you start painting?
Jerrod: As far back as I can remember, I was drawing and painting in some form or fashion. I worked as an artist for two local Scenic Companies for about 10 years.


S&B: Which do you prefer to paint, Acrylics, Oils or Watercolors the most and why?
Jerrod: I've worked in many different mediums and have painted on lots of various elements. My paint of choice is Acrylic on Canvas.  I'm a big advocate of traditional style painting.


S&B: What is your favorite canvas size to paint on and why?
Jerrod: Every artist develops their own comfort level.  My favorite size canvas is 24" x 30" or larger.  I flew up to PA. to meet and talk with fantasy artists Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell a few years ago.  I was always under the impression their paintings were relatively large. They showed me the latest pieces they were working on and I was surprised at how small their boards actually were.


S&B: Some people say that painting helps them relax, is this true for you?
Jerrod: Yes, it's very therapeutic for me.  I paint every chance I get.  I really hate mainstream TV, so I'd much rather be diving into a canvas and staying persistent. Plus, I have something to show for my time.


S&B: We noticed your tag line "REAL Paint on REAL Canvas with REAL Brushes", can you explain?
Jerrod: More and more artists are relying on digital means these days with software colors and a mouse or Wacom pen taking place of palette and brush.  The machine takes over and does most of the work and self reliance is becoming less and less. If you go into a bookstore and look at all the covers, 90% or more are done in digital style and you couldn't tell me the artist who painted it because they all look alike.  Some even go as far as digitally manipulating existing photos and calling them their paintings.  If I see something hand painted, there's a good chance I can tell you who painted it by recognizing their style. This makes the individual and their masterpiece unique and sets them apart from others. Frank Frazetta, Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, Ken Kelly, Michael Whelan, Hildebrandt Brothers, etc. (the list goes on) never use digital.  Frank Frazetta once said, "If you're an artist pick up a palette, brush and paint, don't allow technology to hold your hand".  I live by those words.  Don't get me wrong, I own a Wacom board myself, and it has it's purpose.  But, I'd rather have a uniquely crafted piece of art in my hands that my customers can actually see the brushstrokes, feel the layers of textures, even smell the paints. It has so many levels of labor and aspects going on other than just the portrait, as opposed to nothing more than a digitally printed image. At conventions, I offer both my original acrylic paintings on canvas, as well as the prints of the paintings (the best of both worlds). I guess I'm old school 'Paint over Pixels' and a lot of my clients respect that.


S&B: You seem to have a keen eye for detail in the paintings you've done.  Do you draw your work  before you paint, or do the images just come to you?
Jerrod: I first paint in my base background colors. Then I'll sketch in my background elements and paint them in. From there, I sketch in my main forground elements and paint them in last. All between drying times of course. Sometimes it depends on the piece and how I need to approach it.  I'm not an airbrush artist per se, but I use airbrush to highlight or accent the final paintings.


S&B: Why paint Horror type paintings?
Jerrod: I've been a fan of all things Horror since I was a kid.  I grew up admiring the paintings of Basil Gogos (Artist of 'Famous Monsters of Filmland' magazine covers in the 60's and 70's). I had the wonderful honor of meeting and talking with him at length in 2007.  After that discussion, he inspired me to make a go of what I really love.  A year later in 2008 I was laid off from the Scenic Industry, so really, I've only been painting the Horror genre for a little over three years.


S&B: What other things besides Horror have you painted?
Jerrod: Believe it or not, that's too much to explain.  I've painted Building Murals, Theme Park elements, Museums, Resorts, Movie Props, Restaurants, etc. You'll not even see all the things that I've painted as opposed to what I'm painting now. I've dabbled a little in sculpting too. Formerly traveling all over the US and Japan to paint for local companies as a (ghost-artist), but those days are over. Now I'm painting my passion and putting my name on it.


S&B: You currently do the Horror Cover Art for several publishing companies.  Is that different for you than painting other things?
Jerrod: They send me the title of their upcoming book, or a little bit about the story line. From there I do several sketches and try to come up with an idea that reflects what the book is about.  It's a lot of fun and sometimes a challenge coming up with just the right scene.  Sometimes I'm inspired by other artists that I love or horror scenes that I remember from my past ideas.  Frazetta also said "Your book cover art has to stand out from everything else on the shelf. Always keep in mind that if your art draws the viewers eye from across the room, they'll always reach for your art work and not the one sitting next to it." I try to live up to those words... hopefully it's working (ha, ha).


S&B: Where can readers see some of your artwork?  Can they buy your artwork and if so where?
Jerrod: Absolutely.  All of my work is for sale.  I sell original existing pieces, as well as prints and commission requests are always welcome.  You can write to me through www.facebook.com/HorrorArtist or like the fan page at www.facebook.com/Horror ArtistJerrodBrown or e-mail me directly at SouthpawCreation@bellsouth.net


S&B: Are there any upcoming events you'll be at in the future?
Jerrod: I'm open for any appearance/signing requests for Conventions, Galleries, Clubs, etc. all year long.




In closing, you've sold over 2000 prints and lots of original paintings, as well as winning awards and publishing book covers in just three years. You have the most elaborate Convention Booth set-up we've ever seen for an artist. To put it mildly your work is "Incredible" and not to be ignored. We can only imagine what's next from the Horror Artist Jerrod Brown......

No comments:

Post a Comment